This hen pozole is a tackle conventional Mexican stew with a spicy twist. That includes white hominy, tomatillos, cilantro and inexperienced chiles this inexperienced pozole makes for a scrumptious weeknight soup or weekend delight.
Our backyard this yr was partially impressed by our many journeys to New Mexico. C’s dad lived there so we’ve at all times felt a powerful connection there and have had the chance to go to many instances.
Once we’re visiting I’m at all times certain to get a bowl of hen pozole and a few Christmas enchiladas! The meals there may be so good.
So after we had been planning our backyard this yr we determined to vary issues up and plant each tomatillos and hatch peppers. Each have thrived and I’ve been in a position to make many recipes utilizing each substances. This pozole verde options a few of our many tomatillos and has turn out to be a staple round right here. I hope you take pleasure in it!
What’s Hen Pozole?
Hen pozole is a standard Mexican stew or soup. There are usually 3 sorts of pozole: Hen Pozole Verde (Inexperienced Pozole), Hen Pozole Rojo (crimson pozole) or Pozole Blanco (white pozole). The identify “pozole” (typically spelled posole) is derived from the Nahuatl “potzolli” and the stew is made with hominy and pork or hen breasts.
Substances in Hen Pozole
The substances in hen pozole recipes differ relying on the kind of pozole you’re making. For this inexperienced pozole recipe these are the substances:
- Hen Broth – hen inventory or broth kinds the bottom of this soup
- Hen Breasts – it’s also possible to use boneless or bone-in hen thighs although ensure they’re boneless
- Tomatillos – roughly 1 lb of tomatillos
- Garlic – a number of recent cloves garlic
- Onion – I want white onion however it’s also possible to use yellow onion
- Hominy – massive white corn kernels. You possibly can normally discover this within the canned vegetable part. Be happy to exchange with common yellow corn if you happen to can not discover hominy.
- Cilantro – recent cilantro is good. You possibly can skip if you happen to don’t like cilantro.
- Oregano – I exploit dried however you should utilize recent. Bonus factors if you will discover Mexican oregano
- Salt + pepper – to style. I like to make use of kosher salt.
Find out how to Make Inexperienced Pozole
STEP 1: POACH CHICKEN
Add hen broth to a big inventory pot or dutch oven and convey to a boil. Add hen breasts to pot and decrease warmth to a simmer. Poach hen in liquid till cooked throughout (roughly 25 minutes).
STEP 2: SHRED CHICKEN
Take away hen utilizing tongs and permit to chill on a plate or chopping board. Shred hen as soon as cool sufficient to deal with. Pour remaining hen inventory right into a bowl and put aside (this would be the base of your soup).
STEP 3: COOK VEGGIES
Add olive oil to your pot or dutch oven over medium-high warmth. Add your tomatillos, white onion, garlic cloves and poblano peppers. Cook dinner till flippantly browned (round 10 minutes).
STEP 4: BLEND VEGGIES
Add all substances out of your pot (tomatillos, onion, garlic and poblanos) to a blender and add in handful of cilantro leaves (skip if you happen to don’t like cilantro). Mix till clean.
STEP 5: PUT IT ALL TOGETHER
Add contents of blender again to your pot together with all remaining hen broth, oregano, hominy, salt and pepper. Convey to a boil after which decrease to simmer in pot for 10-Quarter-hour. Add your shredded hen and prepare dinner till simply heated via (a couple of minutes). Add extra salt + pepper, to style. Divide into bowls + high your pozole with desired toppings (see under).
What To Serve with Hen Pozole
There are such a lot of methods to serve inexperienced pozole. Listed here are some concepts:
- Radishes – many conventional hen pozole recipes are topped with radish slices
- Cilantro – I like topping my pozole recipe with cilantro however be happy to skip if you happen to’re a cilantro-phobe
- Limes – lower into lime wedges and serve on high or on the aspect. Squeeze within the further lime juice simply earlier than serving.
- Avocado – chop into chunks for a creamy and scrumptious topping
- Chiles – need extra of a kick? Add chiles like crimson chili flakes and even sliced jalapeno, ancho chiles or guajillo chiles (for a standard recipe)
- Tortilla Chips – a private favourite! I like the crunch tortilla chips add to hen pozole. You may additionally make your individual utilizing corn tortillas.
- Bitter cream – you could possibly additionally use a dollop of greek yogurt
- Cheese – no matter you may have readily available however I notably like the flavour of cotija cheese.
- Shredded cabbage – many inexperienced pozole recipes are topped with shredded inexperienced cabbage.
Storage Ideas: How Lengthy will Pozole Verde final?
How lengthy your Hen Pozole will final is determined by the way you retailer it.
Fridge – will preserve for as much as 5 days in an hermetic container within the fridge.
Freezer – Will preserve for as much as 4 months within the freezer. Retailer in an hermetic container and take away the night time earlier than to thaw in fridge or a number of hours earlier than to thaw on counter.
Extra Mexican-Impressed Recipes:
Hen Pozole [Pozole Verde]
This hen pozole is a tackle conventional Mexican stew with a tangy twist. That includes white hominy, tomatillos, cilantro and inexperienced chiles this pozole verde makes for a scrumptious weeknight soup or weekend delight.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook dinner Time: 1 hour
- Whole Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Class: Soup
- Technique: Cook dinner
- Delicacies: Mexican
- Eating regimen: Gluten Free
- 6 cups hen broth
- 2 massive hen breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb tomatillos, husks eliminated + halved
- 1 medium white onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 poblano peppers (or hatch peppers), stems and seeds eliminated + roughly chopped
- 1 handful of recent cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 (30 ounce) can white hominy, drained + rinsed
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- pepper, to style
Key phrases: pozole recipe, hen pozole, hen pozole recipe, pozole verde, inexperienced pozole recipe, inexperienced pozole
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Be a part of 20,000+ members of the THM Neighborhood to get entry to unique recipes, wholesome life-style suggestions and behind-the-scenes information from our workforce!