Boost your rice with this scrumptious and straightforward yellow saffron rice recipe. Made with basmati rice, high-quality saffron threads and inventory, you’ll by no means return to your fundamental, boring rice recipe once more.
The opposite day I used to be chatting with my buddy Sahar about how a lot we love saffron. To be honest, we have been discussing it extra within the context of skincare (significantly this saffron facial serum) however Sahar was educating me about how saffron is usually utilized in skincare and haircare merchandise in Pakistan and India. It bought me desirous about one among my favourite saffron recipes, this straightforward saffron rice recipe, which I used to make on a regular basis.
A bit secret for you: One of many causes I finished making saffron rice as usually was as a result of once we moved to California I couldn’t simply go over to Mama Maven’s to steal a few of her saffron. As a result of in case you didn’t know, saffron is dear and in my early 20s I might nonetheless justify procuring from my dad or mum’s pantry.
However now I’m a full-fledged grownup and I actually can’t justify it anymore. So I purchased a small quantity of saffron from an ethically sourced firm referred to as Rumi. I used to be 100% influenced by the title however fortunately the product holds up and now this yellow saffron rice recipe is again on the meal plan.
The Historical past of Saffron Rice
Saffron rice is a typical dish throughout many areas of the world. Mostly it’s utilized in India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and different components of South Asia. It’s also present in Persian cooking throughout the Center Jap cooking and even in different components of Asia equivalent to in Thai cooking (the place it’s made with jasmine rice and blended with fish sauce).
Historically it’s made with white basmati rice and could be present in each candy & savory variations.
What’s saffron? Saffron is a spice derived from the flower of Crocus sativus. Good high quality saffron has an earthy, floral taste. It may possibly style a bit candy to some. Poor high quality saffron can have a bitter style to it so keep away from a budget stuff should you can. Saffron strands is what offers yellow saffron rice its yellow colour.
Components for Saffron Rice Recipe
- Basmati rice – follow white basmati rice for saffron rice or white jasmine rice if that’s all you have got. Usually I’d advocate utilizing an extended grain rice.
- Hen broth/inventory – you too can use vegetable broth if vegan or vegetarian.
- Olive oil – Ideally further virgin olive oil. Helps give a richer style to this yellow saffron rice recipe.
- Saffron – often bought as saffron threads.
- Turmeric – for taste and in addition for colour.
- Sea Salt – add kind of relying on taste choice and sodium ranges.
Suggestions for Cooking with Saffron
1. Put money into good high quality saffron – saffron could be a bit dear however it’s vital to put money into good-quality saffron. The faux stuff lacks the true fragrant flavors and simply isn’t value it. Additionally look to buy honest commerce from areas of the world the place saffron is usually grown – Lately 90% of saffron is grown in Iran.
2. A bit bit goes a great distance – despite the fact that saffron could be costly (it’s often known as the world’s most costly spice!), just a little bit goes a great distance so you don’t want to buy a variety of it. You simply want a 1/4 tsp of saffron which comes out to roughly a pinch of saffron.
3. All the time soak your saffron in sizzling water – this helps to launch the fragrant flavors which might be then infused into your saffron rice.
Learn how to Make this Saffron Rice Recipe
STEP 1: PREP SAFFRON
Add saffron to mortar and utilizing a pestle grind up saffron till it reaches a powdery consistency. Add your 1/4 cup of sizzling water on to the pestle and stir to mix. Put aside.
STEP 2: COOK RICE
Add your hen or vegetable inventory to a medium saucepan or pot and convey to a boil over medium-high warmth. As soon as the inventory is boiling add in your saffron/water combine, olive oil, turmeric and salt. Stir effectively. Add rice and convey combination again as much as a boil. As soon as boiling, decrease warmth to a simmer and canopy tightly with a lid. Simmer on low for quarter-hour.
STEP 3: FINISH COOKING + FLUFF
Flip off warmth and let rice sit, coated with lid for 5-10 minutes till all liquid has been absorbed. Take away lid and fluff rice with a fork.
Leftovers could be saved in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Rice is usually higher contemporary however you may warmth up leftovers within the microwave in case you have some.
What to Pair with Saffron Rice
There are such a lot of methods to make use of this yellow saffron rice recipe. You possibly can substitute your common rice recipe or pair with any of those scrumptious recipes listed beneath.
Straightforward Saffron Rice Recipe
Boost your rice with this scrumptious and straightforward saffron rice recipe. Made with basmati rice, high-quality saffron threads and inventory, you’ll by no means return to your fundamental, boring rice recipe once more.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Prepare dinner Time: 25 minutes
- Complete Time: half-hour
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Class: Aspect
- Methodology: Prepare dinner
- Delicacies: Persian
- Food plan: Gluten Free
- 2 cups white basmati rice
- 3 1/4 cups hen inventory (or vegetable inventory)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp saffron threads (+ 1/4 cup sizzling water)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- Add saffron to mortar and utilizing a pestle grind up saffron till it reaches a powdery consistency.
- Add your 1/4 cup of sizzling water on to the pestle and stir to mix. Put aside.
- Add your hen or vegetable inventory to a medium saucepan and convey to a boil on the range prime over medium-high warmth.
- As soon as the inventory is boiling add in your saffron/water combine, olive oil, turmeric and salt. Stir effectively.
- Add rice and convey combination again as much as a boil. As soon as boiling, decrease warmth to a simmer and canopy tightly with a lid.
- Simmer on low for quarter-hour.
- Flip off warmth and let rice sit, coated with lid for 5-10 minutes till all liquid has been absorbed.
- Take away lid and fluff rice with a fork.
Key phrases: saffron rice, turmeric rice, yellow rice, saffron rice recipe
Like this publish? Listed below are another sides you would possibly take pleasure in:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Be part of 20,000+ members of the THM Group to get entry to unique recipes, wholesome way of life suggestions and behind-the-scenes information from our group!